Sunday, July 20, 2008

Slimen Sweep!


Big day out at SM Park for the first mountain bike race at the park EVER! Finally the horse people are getting the boot and trail enthusiast can use the land.

The race started off fast with a 200 yard run and then mount the bike. I hit the single track winded with about 30 people ahead of me. The trails were fast and well groomed with a mix of rolling climbs, tight turns and lots of rocky sections that required a lot of power. After the first lap I was hurting and wanted to bail.

About midway through the 2nd lap I caught my wind and powered through the RG "Rock Garden from Hell" in the big chain ring; passing a half dozen or so peeps including Big Larry. I rolled by him knowing that the longer climb at the end of the lap he would pass me. He had a 20 second or so head start on the third lap and easily lost me on the climb up to the power line.

The third lap was my best; rolling again through the RG in the big chain ring and flossing the trail the rest of the way. Larry and I again traded places in the rock garden and on the hills. Bob was in and out of my sight along with a SKC rider and 360. At the end of the 3rd lap Kyle, Bob, Larry and I were within a minute or so of each other.

Larry powered right up the power line, leaving my sorry ass to sweat in the stiffing heat. The climb was freshly mowed grass, no wind and every bit of the sun beaming down on my fat ass! I saw his skinny ass dip into the trees 60 second or so ahead of me on the fourth lap. Once i hit the trees it felt like the A/C kicked on. I slapped it into the big ring again and powered through the rolling trail to the start of the RG. Just under the power line Larry was on the side of the trail adjusting his bike with another rider across the trail fixing a flat. There were a lot of flats; can you say STANS NO TUBES.

Bob was out of sight, but I caught a glimpse of Kyle mid way through the lap. As I rolled up on his wheel i down shifted and dropped the chain. A few cuss words later and I was rolling again. We spun up the final climb together and I went around him at the Power Line. Once I popped out of the single track and into the staging area, Bob was about ready to dismount.

He and I rolled thought the pits without stopping. His red helmet was well away from me as I crested the Power Line trail. Once i dipped into the single track there was no big ring for me. Legs were pert near cooked and handling skills were rapidly decreasing. At the RG I had to leave it in the middle ring, only using power to pass people. The rocks bounced me and around kept me off balance; much easier to ride when you can power through it. The final climb out of the RG had a limping Bob at the top. Cramps had set in and kept him off his bike for a few minutes.

I was cooked and very glad that we were on the last lap, although my current pace could have made the 3 hour cut off. Fortunately, I doinked into a tree a few times and had to dismount, get back on the trail and attempt to get my momentum back. At the start of the final climb, Bob had recovered and was rolling nice. I clicked the shifter a few times and gave my last bit of power to get through the climb.

A few short minutes later I rolled through the scores table a minute or so past the deadline (Thank god) and gave a fit bump to Craig then limped on to the pits.

Mr Bob joined me a few minutes later with the good news, he was second and I took first. It was about an hour later when we found out Big Larry took third for the "Slimen Sweep"!

Great Race, Great job Larry, Bob, Kyle, Ty and da PITTS

hope I never have to do it again! See all you clown at RIM

joepud

Ps. Heartland Series should think about getting Stan's No Tubes as a sponsor. That race would have made believers out of the non!

Pss My crappy little runners water bottle thing sucks; Bob cleaned house with the raffle and his 2nd place prize of a North Face Bag.

0 comments:

Post a Comment